Moving is stressful! To help you get through this as easy as possible, we’ve curated a list of steps that will keep you organized during your move.
8 weeks before the move:
Find companies to help with your move
- Professional movers
- Truck rentals for a DIY move
Create a binder
- Gather important information and documents regarding your move
- Moving company estimates, new lease agreement, birth certificates and other important documents you want to keep handy.
Organize school records
- If you have children, contact the new school district and gather information on the new school. Arrange to have their records transferred after the move.
- Don’t forget about shot records or other physical exams needed for admission into schools.
6 weeks before the move
Start gathering boxes
- Ask friends and family for extra boxes. You can also get boxes from retailers or stores.
- Use this moving calculator to estimate how many boxes you might need. http://hdmoving.com/
5 weeks before the move
Sell. Donate. Dispose.
- Start gathering items you aren’t taking with you on the move. Find a local place to donate items, sell through your social network or dispose of items.
4 weeks before the move
Select moving company or reserve truck
- Make the final preparations for your moving company or rental truck. Most companies require a deposit to reserve.
- Start packing.
- Label each box as you pack them.
3 weeks before the move
- Contact your current utility providers and confirm the days they will be disconnected.
- Set utilities up for your new home.
2 weeks before the move
Confirm your rental truck
- Call to make sure you are all set for moving day
Change your address
- Use the online form (USPS Change of Address Form) or head to the post office to fill out a physical form.
1 week before the move
Pack a convenience box
- Pack a box to easily locate items you need for the first day at your new home.
- Tissue, paper plates, paper towels, soap, medicines, phone charges, etc.
- Find local convenience stores, veterinarians, hospitals and your favorite places to eat.