Moving is stressful! To help you get through this as easy as possible, we’ve curated a list of steps that will keep you organized during your move.
8 weeks before the move:
Find companies to help with your move
- Professional movers
- Truck rentals for a DIY move
Create a binder
- Gather important information and documents regarding your move
- Moving company estimates, new lease agreement, birth certificates and other important documents you want to keep handy.
Organize school records
- If you have children, contact the new school district and gather information on the new school. Arrange to have their records transferred after the move.
- Don’t forget about shot records or other physical exams needed for admission into schools.
6 weeks before the move
Start gathering boxes
- Ask friends and family for extra boxes. You can also get boxes from retailers or stores.
- Use this moving calculator to estimate how many boxes you might need. http://hdmoving.com/
5 weeks before the move
Sell. Donate. Dispose.
- Start gathering items you aren’t taking with you on the move. Find a local place to donate items, sell through your social network or dispose of items.
4 weeks before the move
Select moving company or reserve truck
- Make the final preparations for your moving company or rental truck. Most companies require a deposit to reserve.
- Start packing.
- Label each box as you pack them.
3 weeks before the move
- Contact your current utility providers and confirm the days they will be disconnected.
- Utilities will be set up automatically by FirstKey Homes and managed by YES Utilities. Statements will be provided by email and will also be visible on the Resident Portal. Statement and payment dates may vary by market; contact YES Energy Management at 833.363.7963 for details.
2 weeks before the move
Confirm your rental truck
- Call to make sure you are all set for moving day
Change your address
- Use the online form (USPS Change of Address Form) or head to the post office to fill out a physical form.
1 week before the move
Pack a convenience box
- Pack a box to easily locate items you need for the first day at your new home.
- Tissue, paper plates, paper towels, soap, medicines, phone charges, etc.
- Find local convenience stores, veterinarians, hospitals and your favorite places to eat.